Adonia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Adonia

You are not connected. Please login or register

Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/

+6
Sauberbmw
stanislavsoltys
Agunter999
streylok17
Kurt
StillAlive
10 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

26Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:19 am

stanislavsoltys

stanislavsoltys

Makinaak would be better if the continent wasn't as riddled with European colonists like America was IRL.

27Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:43 am

Kurt

Kurt

Juls wrote:I got the names.

Kaftia (from Greek καυτό/kafto meaning "hot"; etymology of 'Africa' comes from Greek aphrike/αφρίκη which means "without cold")

Illypnia (from Greek sun + sleep a.k.a. sunset a.k.a. western lands)

Fosia (from Greek light a.k.a. sunrise a.k.a. eastern lands)

Ulina (from Cherokee ulinawi/ᎤᎵᎾᏫ meaning turtle; many tribes called the continent Turtle Island lel) or Makinaak (from Ojibwe word for turtle)

Antinotia (from Greek antinotia/αντινότια meaning "opposite to the south"; etymology of 'Antarctica' comes from Greek antarktikos/ανταρκτικός, from anti (αντί) + arktikos (αρκτικός) "Arctic". Literally "opposite to the Arctic (opposite to the North)".

For the two/one northwestern continent(s) idk

I like those names. Very Happy

I would say there should be colonies, as most empires would most likely attempt to expand.

28Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:09 am

StillAlive

StillAlive
Admin

Measurements edited
agusnavarro11 wrote:Adonia Pixels: 46,518,292
Adonia Land Pixels: 15,786,540
Adonia Water Pixels: 30,731,752

Adonia Area: 509,677,135 km² (196,787,390 mi²)
Adonia Land Mass: 172,965,045.07 km²   (34%)
Adonia Water Mass: 336,712,089.52 km² (66%)

Adonia KM2 per Square: 10.95648857 km² per pixel
Adonia KM per Point: 5.478244285 km per point

29Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:46 am

Agunter999

Agunter999

stanislavsoltys wrote:Makinaak would be better if the contingent wasn't as riddled with European colonists like America was IRL.

We should have a less colonised new world

30Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:47 am

StillAlive

StillAlive
Admin

Only three of the names were accepted, Kaftia, Illypnia and Fosia.

31Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:30 am

ArchMikeM

ArchMikeM

These names sound even more fantasy since ive been playing Skyrim. Theyre fancy.

This is supposed to be a new world, different from ours. New planets, new moons, new names, new unknown objects in space... (no no I know, no scifi shit this time...) Like I said I've been playing Skyrim so my mind is in total fantasy RPG mode right now. Their planet has two moons! One's huge! Or just really close in orbit, don't know.

Anyway I'm curious. Why naming things based off Greek? We could just completely make up words that sound similar and call it a language.

.....Can Adonia be a moon orbiting a Gas Giant?

32Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:05 am

Agunter999

Agunter999

As soon as we change anything in the solar system we potentially mess up physics and biological evolution, so it would be best if we keep it as a parallel

33Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:10 pm

Juls

Juls
Admin

MichaelvM wrote:Anyway I'm curious. Why naming things based off Greek? We could just completely make up words that sound similar and call it a language.

Greek has influenced several modern languages and to a broader extent Western civilization. It was the lingua franca in the west for some time, when continent names were shaped. Owing to language development and technological/exploration times, using Greek makes sense. It's not parallelism, it's just realism.

We can't create completely new languages, unless you want to spend about a year figuring out a grammar system and all and you have a linguistic PhD Razz Altering existing languages is already hard as it is, we can't go on creating new languages.

34Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:14 pm

Jon

Jon

I think Greek names are fine. The points Juls makes are excellent reasons to use Greek as the language, especially since many of the other major languages of that crucial time period are not good candidates for many reasons. It's definitely okay with me that the continents that were known at the appropriate time are given Greek names.

As Juls points out, creating languages from scratch is incredibly difficult and time-consuming, so that isn't really an option either.

As for continents discovered later, there is a bit more freedom. I like the idea of a Native American name like the turtle ones, possibly with spelling that reflects the language of the explorers that would discover it.

35Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:52 pm

StillAlive

StillAlive
Admin

Something we must take into account, is that the languages of Adonia, even though based on their Earth relatives will be considerably different to the ones in Adonia; some of them will even be unintelligible to those in Earth.

36Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:01 am

Will

Will

I like the continent names proposed so far!

37Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:07 pm

stanislavsoltys

stanislavsoltys

agusnavarro11 wrote:Something we must take into account, is that the languages of Adonia, even though based on their Earth relatives will be considerably different to the ones in Adonia; some of them will even be unintelligible to those in Earth.

They should still be relatively the same. Most of us don't speak the languages we chose for our nations, but instead use Google Translate. Some of us would rather not create their own language (although I'd be willing to).

38Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:48 am

StillAlive

StillAlive
Admin

I never said create our own language, and most of the time we will rp in normal Earthian English. But for domestic-RP purposes yes the languages will be different than their Earthian counterparts.

39Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:20 pm

stanislavsoltys

stanislavsoltys

agusnavarro11 wrote:I never said create our own language, and most of the time we will rp in normal Earthian English. But for domestic-RP purposes yes the languages will be different than their Earthian counterparts.

I can try to work something out for my nation.

40Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:23 am

ArchMikeM

ArchMikeM

I have no idea whats going on. tongue No one's talking on Skype and I'm seeing threads like city claims, face claims n'such, and names I haven't seen used before like Varkana. Man I miss the old Adonia.

41Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:12 am

Juls

Juls
Admin

It's under construction, Mike

What is currently completed:

• Human Migration/Genetics map
  • Continental map
  • Topography map
  • Climate map

What is currently being developed:

• Language map (20% done)
  • General History

What needs to be finished before launch (ie ready to RP and accept applications):

• All resource maps (incl. natural resources, territorial evolution, etc.)
  • General History
  • Adonian Community charter
  • Major NPCs

42Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ - Page 2 Empty Re: Adonia | Information /DISCUSSION/ Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:53 am

Juls

Juls
Admin

We've worked on this project a while, and we had some delays due to real life and stuff but I just want to let everyone know that it is not dead and we're working on it actively now. If you have any question, ask me on Skype.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum